2 children taken to hospital after gasoline ignites inside home - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

2 children taken to hospital after gasoline ignites inside home

Posted: Updated:
LONGVIEW, TX (KLTV) -

Two young boys have been hospitalized after gasoline they were playing with ignited, seriously burning one of them.

Authorities say the boys, ages 3 years and 14 months, were playing with gasoline stored in a closet in a home in the 600 block of Idylwood Drive in Longview. The boys got gasoline on them and it is believed that gasoline was then ignited by a nearby water heater.

"We believe that the gasoline vapors found an ignition source, which in this case most likely was the hot water heater," Johnny Zachary with the Longview Fire Department said.

The 14-month-old was taken to a local hospital with 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his legs, where he was then flown to Parkland Hospital in Dallas. The 3-year-old was taken to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Nineteen-year-old Brenda Magallon was at home when suddenly her son Kelvin and her nephew were on fire. Magallon said he son was only wearing diapers.

Brenda said her son was only wearing diapers.

 "He was over here when my mom ran to get him, and I got my nephew and I pushed him over there and my mom came out running with Kelvin. That's when we saw his legs, they were burning," Brenda said.

There were three adults in the house at the time and they managed to put the children out before paramedics arrived.

"They just told me he was going to need some surgeries. But I'm going to go to Dallas to see him," Brenda said.

 The Longview Fire Department says there will be no criminal charges at this time. They also say you should never store any type of flammable fuel in your home. It should always be stored in a building that is not connected to your house.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow