Not guilty plea entered for suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

Not guilty plea entered for suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro

Ariel Castro ordered to look at judge during Wednesday's court hearing Ariel Castro ordered to look at judge during Wednesday's court hearing

The Cleveland man suspected of kidnapping three women and holding them captive for years inside his west side home was arraigned on hundreds of new charges Wednesday.

As in past court appearances, Ariel Castro entered the courtroom with his head lowered and avoided eye contact. But on Wednesday, the judge ordered Castro to lift his head and look at her while she reviewed a summary of the new charges. Castro did as he was told.

Defense attorneys then entered a not guilty plea to the 977-count indictment filed against Castro last week.

The new indictment covers the entire time period from August 2002, when the first of the three women disappeared, until May of this year. The original indictment covered only the first four and a half years of the women's captivity.

The charges include aggravated murder stemming from the death of an unborn child of one of the women. That victim says Castro forced her to lose multiple babies after she got pregnant.

Last Thursday, a County Prosecutor Committee met to discuss whether Castro should get the death penalty. That still remains an option.

Castro is accused of holding Amanda Berry, Michelle Knight and Gina DeJesus captive in his Seymour Avenue house for years before they were rescued on May 6.

Berry gave birth to his daughter while in captivity.

Castro's bond remains at $8M and he is to avoid contact with the victims.

Copyright 2013 WOIO. All rights reserved.

  • South Carolina news on WIStv.comNEWSMore>>

  • Administration seeks to expand immigrant family detention

    Administration seeks to expand immigrant family detention

    Saturday, June 23 2018 12:26 AM EDT2018-06-23 04:26:10 GMT
    Sunday, June 24 2018 12:44 AM EDT2018-06-24 04:44:13 GMT
    (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...(AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...
    (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...(AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...

    The Trump administration is calling for the expanded use of family detention for immigrant parents and children who are stopped along the U.S.-Mexico border.

    More >>

    The Trump administration is calling for the expanded use of family detention for immigrant parents and children who are stopped along the U.S.-Mexico border.

    More >>
  • US moves 100 coffins to N. Korean border for war remains

    US moves 100 coffins to N. Korean border for war remains

    Saturday, June 23 2018 5:16 AM EDT2018-06-23 09:16:27 GMT
    Sunday, June 24 2018 12:43 AM EDT2018-06-24 04:43:53 GMT
    (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon, File). FILE- In this May 14, 1999, file photo, U.N. honor guards carry a coffin containing the remains of the American soldiers after it was returned from North Korea at the border village of Panmunjom, South Korea. South Kore...(AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon, File). FILE- In this May 14, 1999, file photo, U.N. honor guards carry a coffin containing the remains of the American soldiers after it was returned from North Korea at the border village of Panmunjom, South Korea. South Kore...

    The U.S. military says it is moving "assets" to a U.S. air base near South Korea's capital and to the inter-Korean border to prepare for North Korea's returning of the remains of U.S. soldiers who have been missing...

    More >>

    The U.S. military says it is moving "assets" to a U.S. air base near South Korea's capital and to the inter-Korean border to prepare for North Korea's returning of the remains of U.S. soldiers who have been missing since the 1950-53 Korean War.

    More >>
  • Cohen's photo with Tom Arnold fuels Trump tape speculation

    Cohen's photo with Tom Arnold fuels Trump tape speculation

    Friday, June 22 2018 4:02 PM EDT2018-06-22 20:02:45 GMT
    Sunday, June 24 2018 12:43 AM EDT2018-06-24 04:43:51 GMT
    (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Oct. 10, 2017 file photo, Tom Arnold attends the premiere of "Dead Ant" in Los Angeles.  Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's former attorney, retweeted a photo posing with Arnold, who is...(Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Oct. 10, 2017 file photo, Tom Arnold attends the premiere of "Dead Ant" in Los Angeles. Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's former attorney, retweeted a photo posing with Arnold, who is...

    President Donald Trump's former attorney Michael Cohen retweeted a photo posing with comedian Tom Arnold, who is working on a show to hunt down recordings of the president, fueling speculation that Cohen may have...

    More >>

    President Donald Trump's former attorney Michael Cohen retweeted a photo posing with comedian Tom Arnold, who is working on a show to hunt down recordings of the president, fueling speculation that Cohen may have secret tapes of Trump.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly