In odd twist, fire extinguished in fire department's kitchen - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

In odd twist, fire extinguished in fire department's kitchen

Posted: Updated:
COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) -

A fire department is definitely the last place you'd think there might be a fire, but irony has a funny way of reminding you how odd life can be.

On Monday evening, as firefighters rushed out of the Columbia Fire Department headquarters to tackle a fire, they accidentally left a pot on the hot stove.

According to Chief Aubrey Jenkins, that pot started a fire and caused $20,000 worth of damages to the kitchen.

Luckily, Jenkins says the building's sprinkler system kicked in and quickly took care of the issue.

While Jenkins noted the irony of the situation, he also wanted to remind people that a fire can happen to anyone, including firefighters.

"In an unintentional error a firefighter left a pot on a stove top and this is an example of how cooking fires can occur anywhere and to anyone, that's why it is so important to never leave cooking food unattended," said Jenkins in a statement.

Copyright 2013 WIS. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow