Vick's lawyer blames pebble in shoe for "stumbling" through State House grounds

Rep. Ted Vick speaks to Taylor Kearns after leaving jail.
Rep. Ted Vick speaks to Taylor Kearns after leaving jail.
State Rep. Ted Vick (Source: Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center)
State Rep. Ted Vick (Source: Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center)

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - For the second time in just under a year, Pee Dee lawmaker and former Seventh Congressional District candidate Ted Vick (D-Chesterfield) was arrested on a DUI charge.

Vick was arrested by a Bureau of Protective Services officer on State House grounds late Tuesday night.

A Department of Public Safety spokesperson says the officer saw Vick staggering around on the grounds shortly after 11 p.m. The officer followed Vick on foot into the parking garage but did not catch up with him until he saw Vick trying to pull out of the garage, according to the report.

The officer stopped him and noticed a strong odor of alcohol. Vick was arrested and transported to the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center.

While being detained at the Detention Center, officers asked where he had been that evening and how much alcohol he had consumed.

According to the incident report, Vick said he was walking back to his car from Cowboy Brazilian Steakhouse on Main Street and he had consumed "2 glasses of Cabernet wine" with his meal.

Vick was also asked if he normally driver in his inebriated state.

"No, I have drivers, " Vick reportedly replied to the officers.

Vick also refused to take a breathalyzer test, according to the report.

Vick has left the Detention Center. He offered very few words on the arrest, but said he doesn't believe the media reports of him "stumbling through the State House grounds" are "accurate."

Vick's attorney, Todd Rutherford, who is also a state representative, said Vick had a pebble in his shoe, and that's what made him walk funny.

"We charge people based on how they drive and not how they walk," says Rutherford. He says the officer only saw Vick drive for about 20 feet.

Rutherford told WIS there are too many inconsistencies in the officer's story in regard to the layout of the parking garage and what the officer said happened.  He said the traffic cone Vick is accused of hitting "Has a lot of black marks on it because people hit it all the time."

Rutherford said he could produce several people who will testify that Vick was perfectly sober when he left the restaurant.

"I regret this has happened obviously," said Vick "But, I remain innocent until proven guilty."

As previously noted, this is Vick's second DUI charge. In May 2012, he was charged with speeding, DUI and unlawful carrying of a gun after he was stopped on Devine Street and refused a breathalyzer test.

Vick was also caught with a 21-year-old college student in his car during that arrest.

The DUI charge forced him to abandon his campaign for the Seventh Congressional District and instead focus on getting re-elected for his State House seat.

Vick's first DUI charge is still pending in Columbia municipal court. He asked for a jury trial last year.

Vick represents South Carolina District 53, which includes Chesterfield and Lancaster counties.

Copyright 2013 WIS. All rights reserved.