Dzhokhar Tsarnaev may face state murder charges for MIT officer - - Columbia, South Carolina

Hospital: Boston bombing suspect's condition improving

A night vision image of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev hiding in a boat before authorities took him into custody. (Source: Massachusetts State Police/CNN) A night vision image of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev hiding in a boat before authorities took him into custody. (Source: Massachusetts State Police/CNN)
New images of the Tsarnaev brothers at the Boston Marathon were released. (Source: Bob Leonard/CNN) New images of the Tsarnaev brothers at the Boston Marathon were released. (Source: Bob Leonard/CNN)

BOSTON (RNN) – Hospital physicians reported the man suspected of bombing the Boston Marathon is in fair condition, according to the Massachusetts U.S. Attorney's Office.

The office made the announcement on its Twitter feed Tuesday at the request of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was previously listed in serious condition; he remains under care at the hospital.

More formal accusations against Tsarnaev could be coming Tuesday in connection to the April 15 marathon attack and the ensuing manhunt.

The Associated Press reported charges by state prosecutors in the shooting death of MIT police officer Sean Collier were forthcoming. Collier, 26, died Thursday in the beginning of the suspects' getaway attempt that lasted nearly 24 hours.

Tsarnaev was federally charged Monday with use of a weapon of mass destruction and malicious destruction of property resulting in death.

He could face the death penalty if found guilty. Additional charges from federal prosecutors could be added when he is indicted as well, according to the AP.

A Congressional committee is scheduled to hold a meeting Tuesday to discuss what the FBI knew about the elder Tsarnaev brother. The House of Representatives is scheduled to receive a briefing at 5 p.m. ET.

Rep. C.A. "Dutch" Ruppersberger, D-MD, told CNN he was interested in where the brothers learned how to make explosives, as well as their history.

"One of the things that I'm concerned about is they may have used cell phones to set off the bombs," Ruppersberger said. "That requires more sophistication."

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, had been questioned in 2011 by federal authorities because Russian officials believed he may be a radical Islamist attempting to seek out like-minded organizations in regions near Russia.

Both brothers lived in Kyrgyzstan and Dagestan before moving to the U.S. Dzhokhar moved with his family to the U.S. in 2002; Tamerlan also lived briefly in Kazakhstan before moving in 2003.

According to his family, Tamerlan Tsarnaev was influenced by a radical Muslim they only knew as "Misha," according to the Associated Press. The influence of this mysterious friend caused Tamerlan Tsarnaev to give up boxing and he stopped studying music. The AP reports he began visiting conspiracy websites, as well as those that touted anti-Semitic viewpoints.

The FBI stated in a news release Friday it had interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaev and family members, investigated his activities and found no evidence of terrorism activity.

A transcript from Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's appearance before a federal judge Monday in his room at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center indicated he has spoken at least one word – "No." It came in response to the question of whether he could afford an attorney to represent him.

All other questions to the suspect were answered with nods of his head, and he reportedly had been communicating with investigators in writing. Vocal responses were severely limited after Tsarnaev was shot in the neck, head, legs and hand then had a respiratory tube put in place at the hospital.

CNN reported the suspect relayed his brother led the plot to set off explosives at the Boston Marathon. Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed during a shootout with police officers Friday.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev also told law enforcement he and his brother were not connected to any terrorist organization.

On Monday, members of the SWAT team that captured Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Friday spoke to CNN's Anderson Cooper. Officer Jeff Campbell and other members of the MBTA Transit Police SWAT discovered the suspect hiding in a boat behind a Watertown, MA, residence.

"Both of his hands were up, we could see there were no weapons in them, no ignition devices," Campbell said. "We broke away from the shield protective cover. We just rushed him. We put hands on him, grabbed him and pulled him off the boat."

Two explosions happened within seconds of each other near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, held annually on Patriots Day. Authorities said the bombs were housed inside pressure cookers and contained nails and metal ball bearings.

Law enforcement used video and photos taken from the site to identify the Tsarnaev brothers as suspects. Police found them Thursday, hours after the FBI released images of the two from the day of the marathon.

Copyright 2013 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly