Judge orders mental evaluation for man charged with killing parents

Matthew Mahorsky (Source: Fairfield County Detention Center)
Matthew Mahorsky (Source: Fairfield County Detention Center)

FAIRFIELD COUNTY, SC (WIS) - A judge has ordered a 40-year-old man accused of brutally murdering his parents in April to undergo a mental evaluation.

Matthew Mahorsky remains in the Fairfield County Detention Center without bond.

Mahorsky was taken into custody on April 8 shortly after a deputy checking on the well-being of his parents discovered their bodies in the front yard of the home near the intersection of Highway 215 and Highway 34.

He was charged with two counts of murder and one count of possession of a firearm during a violent crime.

Fairfield County Chief Deputy Keith Lewis says 71-year-old Richard and 70-year-old Ruth Marion Mahorsky were shot in the head with a high-powered rifle. 

During the search for the gunman, deputies found Matthew inside the garage. He exited the house without incident and was taken into custody for questioning.

Deputies filed charges the next morning.   

Authorities recovered a rifle from inside the home. It is unclear if the weapon was used in the murders.

Lewis said the sheriff's department arrested Mahorsky in 2004 after an altercation at the same home. He was charged with presenting and pointing a firearm at his father.

Matthew's mother diffused that situation by talking him into putting the gun down and going into the house, Lewis said.

The parents then called law enforcement, indicating Matthew's struggle with mental illness, according to deputies.

He pleaded guilty to that charge and was put on three years probation.

The Mahorsky's two others sons, Todd and Mark, returned home from Texas and Pennsylvania to deal with the funeral arrangements. The family cleaned up the Mahorsky's yard Wednesday.

The couple is being remembered for their fun-loving spirit. Neighbors say Marion liked to garden. She worked at Providence Community Bank in Winnsboro.

Dickie was retired from Mack truck but family members say the two were always doing something.

"He was 71 but he was actually like 25, constantly going, never stopping," said nephew Chris Unangst. "My aunt loved the yard. You can see the mulch she was getting ready to put out."

Neighbors say if Dickie was home they would hear the hum of his metalworking tools. He enjoyed creating art from metal scraps.

"He could take a can of beer and turn it into a house," said Unangst.

Unangst said they made the ordinary extraordinary with their zest for life.

"My aunt was always goofing, doing goofy things in front of the camera," he said. "Loved the camera. Loved to make people laugh. That was the biggest thing about my aunt. Never saw her mad or mean."

Unangst said it was the same for his uncle Dickie.

"He looked like a big guy, big and mean," he said. But he was a big teddy bear."

Neighbor Barry Spruell will miss the daily talks with Dickie at the mailbox.

"'Barry, how you doing?  You going to let me paint that car of yours?'" Spruell described their conversations. "I'd say, 'Rich I don't have time right now.' 'When you get the time you let me know and will get that thing pretty for you.'"

Copyright 2012 WIS. All rights reserved.