Charlotte Motor Speedway Bruton Smith sues over $80M deal - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

Charlotte Motor Speedway sues over $80M deal

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -

The mogul behind the Charlotte Motor Speedway is trying to resurrect his lawsuit against local officials, claiming they reneged on an offer of $80 million in incentives for upgrades and a new drag strip.

A three-judge state Court of Appeals panel will hold a closed-door discussion Tuesday to determine whether the lawsuit will be heard by a jury.

A judge last year dismissed the lawsuit by Concord-based Speedway Motorsports Inc. and Charlotte Motor Speedway, both headed by racing magnate Bruton Smith.

They're suing Cabarrus County, which says an incentives deal announced in 2007 wasn't put in writing until the day after a new drag strip opened the following year.

If the judges side with the county, Speedway Motorsports could have to wait up to 40 years to be reimbursed for the upgrades.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

  • South Carolina news on WIStv.comNEWSMore>>

  • The Latest: US wins Olympic gold in men's curling

    The Latest: US wins Olympic gold in men's curling

    Friday, February 23 2018 8:14 PM EST2018-02-24 01:14:57 GMT
    Saturday, February 24 2018 4:48 AM EST2018-02-24 09:48:39 GMT
    (AP Photo/Michael Sohn). Driver Nadezhda Sergeeva and Anastasia Kocherzhova of the Olympic Athletes of Russia take a curve in their third heat during the women's two-man bobsled final at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, Wednesday, ...(AP Photo/Michael Sohn). Driver Nadezhda Sergeeva and Anastasia Kocherzhova of the Olympic Athletes of Russia take a curve in their third heat during the women's two-man bobsled final at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, Wednesday, ...

    The International Bobsled and Skeleton Federation says it isn't commenting yet on an alleged anti-doping rule violation by Russian women's bobsledder Nadezhda Sergeeva.

    More >>

    The International Bobsled and Skeleton Federation says it isn't commenting yet on an alleged anti-doping rule violation by Russian women's bobsledder Nadezhda Sergeeva.

    More >>
  • American Krupp, Canadian Macek fully committed to Germany

    American Krupp, Canadian Macek fully committed to Germany

    Saturday, February 24 2018 4:05 AM EST2018-02-24 09:05:09 GMT
    Saturday, February 24 2018 4:48 AM EST2018-02-24 09:48:22 GMT
    (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky). Bjorn Krupp (40), of Germany, and goalie Den Birken Danny Aus (33) defend the goal against Rene Bourque (17), of Canada, during the second period of the semifinal round of the men's hockey game at the 2018 Winter Olympics i...(AP Photo/Patrick Semansky). Bjorn Krupp (40), of Germany, and goalie Den Birken Danny Aus (33) defend the goal against Rene Bourque (17), of Canada, during the second period of the semifinal round of the men's hockey game at the 2018 Winter Olympics i...

    American-born Bjorn Krupp and Canadian-born Brooks Macek don't feel at all conflicted about playing for Germany at the Olympics.

    More >>

    American-born Bjorn Krupp and Canadian-born Brooks Macek don't feel at all conflicted about playing for Germany at the Olympics.

    More >>
  • The Latest: Official: 18 soldiers killed in west Afghanistan

    The Latest: Official: 18 soldiers killed in west Afghanistan

    Saturday, February 24 2018 1:15 AM EST2018-02-24 06:15:26 GMT
    Saturday, February 24 2018 4:47 AM EST2018-02-24 09:47:13 GMT
    (AP Photo/Massoud Hossaini). Security forces inspect the site of a suicide bombing in the diplomatic area of capital Kabul, Afghanistan, Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018.  Interior ministry spokesman Najib Danish said several people were wounded in Saturday's a...(AP Photo/Massoud Hossaini). Security forces inspect the site of a suicide bombing in the diplomatic area of capital Kabul, Afghanistan, Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018. Interior ministry spokesman Najib Danish said several people were wounded in Saturday's a...

    Afghan official says at least three security personnel have been killed in separate suicide bombing attacks in southern Helmand province.

    More >>

    Afghan official says at least three security personnel have been killed in separate suicide bombing attacks in southern Helmand province.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly