Turn of a vehicle's ignition causes explosion, fire at Charlotte - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

Explosion triggered after man starts car in garage, firefighters say

Posted: Updated:
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -

Charlotte firefighters have pinpointed the cause of an explosion and fire that sent one man to a hospital, and left a house damaged.

Charlotte firefighters say a man was heading out the door to work Monday morning on the 10100 block of Ashley Farm Drive near Matthews. He attempted to start his car inside his garage, which is inside his house.

Charlotte Fire Captain Rob Brisley says gasoline vapors from the vehicle spilled on the floor of the garage and reached a nearby gas-powered hot water heater, igniting the explosion.

Neighbors described it as a small explosion and heard a loud pop as all the windows in the house shattered.

The explosion also sparked a small fire which damaged his garage and attic above. The side of the house was popped out from the explosion.

Firefighters say the man was able to call 911 from his car.

Four other people were inside the house at the time. They all escaped unharmed. The man was rushed to the emergency room but did not suffer any serious injuries.

Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow