Former SC prison guard suing cell phone companies - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

Former SC prison guard suing cell phone companies

Updated:
Former Lee Correctional Institution officer Robert Johnson Former Lee Correctional Institution officer Robert Johnson
  • Related LinksMore>>

  • Former officer survives "hit", takes story to Washington

    Former officer survives "hit", takes story to Washington

    Wednesday, February 19 2014 8:49 AM EST2014-02-19 13:49:25 GMT
    By Jody Barr - bio | email LEE COUNTY, SC (WIS) - A Lee County Correctional Officer survived being shot six times after an attack at his home. The State Law Enforcement Division says the officer was theMore >>
    A Lee County Correctional Officer survived being shot six times after an attack at his home. The State Law Enforcement Division says the officer was the target of a hit called in by an inmate inside a Lee County prison cell. Now, he wants Congress to change the law, and prevent prison cell calls from going through.More >>

CHARLESTON, SC (AP) - A former South Carolina prison guard wounded in a hit authorities say was orchestrated by inmates using smuggled cell phones is suing mobile phone service providers.

The Post and Courier of Charleston reports Robert Johnson is suing 20 cell phone companies and cellular tower owners. The lawsuit accuses the companies of being able to block inmate calls at Lee Correctional Institution in Bishopville but failing to do so.

Johnson was a Corrections Department veteran who oversaw efforts to keep contraband out of Lee. He was shot six times at his Sumter home in 2010, requiring months of rehabilitation and surgeries. He retired in 2011.

Authorities say the hit was organized by inmates using smuggled cell phones. More than 3,000 contraband cell phones were confiscated from South Carolina prisons last year.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow