Overloaded surge protector blamed for fire that displaced 6 USC - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

Alexander Maroshek, University of South Carolina student, in fire he calls "not frat at all"

Overloaded surge protector blamed for fire that displaced 6 USC students

Posted: Updated:
(Source: Taylor Kearns) (Source: Taylor Kearns)
COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) -

An overloaded surge protector is being blamed on a duplex fire that displaced seven University of South Carolina Students on Monday.

Columbia-Richland firefighters were called to the building in the 1100 block of Olympia Avenue around 8:20 a.m. When crews arrived, there was heavy fire coming from the roof of the structure.

Investigators said all seven people who were inside the duplex were able to get out safely. Six of those affected are USC students.

There are no reported injuries. Officials say the damages are estimated at $200,000.

The Red Cross is assisting those displaced with food, clothing and shelter.

Copyright 2012 WIS. All rights reserved.

 

Powered by WorldNow