Non-partisan candidate for Kershaw County School Board District 5.
Occupation: Retired from DuPont
Education: BS in Business Administration from USC; Associate degree in Business from Palmar College; Graduate of Palmetto Leadership; Many Educational Workshops, Seminars, and etc. with DuPont
Experience in Political or Related Positions: This is my first time to run for a political position. However, I have held many related positions that have given me the experience to be a School Board Trustee. I have held the following positions that have given me the experience to be a productive member of the Kershaw County School Board.
- Member of Camden First Baptist Church 58 years: Served and currently serving on Deacon Board and on numerous committees for the past 20 years; Sunday School: Department Leader, Teacher, Out Reach Leader; Boy Scout Leader.
- South Carolina Army National Guard 1966-1972: Sergeant and Squad Leader;
- DuPont 35 year Career: Cost Section Head, 4 years (Accounts Receivable and Payable); Employment Supervisor, 4 years (Hiring, Coordinated Insurance, Job Placement); Safety Office, 15 years as Safety Engineer (Plant Safety Guidelines for employees and equipment) and Safety Supervisor (Fire Brigade, Security, Hazmat Team, Worker's Compensation); Employee Relations Supervisor, 3 years; and Plant operations Supervisor, 5 years.
- Kershaw County School District:
As a student: Attended Camden schools and graduated in 1963: During high school played football; 4 years, Junior Class President, member of numerous clubs.
As a parent: From 1975 - 1990 my children attend Camden schools. I was involved in their classroom activities as a volunteer. I supported and participated in academic, athletic and band activities.
As a community leader: Member of the Career Center, Applied Technology Education Campus, Strategic Planning Team in the late 1990s, Member of the Machine Tool Program's Advisory Committee for 20 years, and inducted as an honorary member into the National Technical Honor Society.
As a volunteer: For the past 15 years as a grandparent with classroom activities and field trips, for the past five years I have served as "Water Boy - Hydration Specialist" for the North Central varsity football team.
Why should voters choose you in this election? I am a lifelong resident of Kershaw County. My wife, Sharon, and I have been married for 46 years. Sharon retired this past school year after 35 years as a nursing teacher/coordinator for the district. Therefore, I have some experience with the role of a Kershaw County school teacher. In addition, I currently have 4 grandchildren enrolled in our schools, one who graduated and another grandson in a few years. I am retired and have the time to give back to the community and school district.
I believe with my education and past experiences I have gained the knowledge and abilities to be a productive school board trustee. I have experience supervising the following areas:
1. Plant operations;
1. Budgets much higher than our districts;
2. Hiring new employees;
3. Employee relations;
4. Health insurance and benefits for employees, retirees and survivors;
5. Worker's compensation;
6. Plant security including OSHA standards;
7. Plant fire safety;
8. Plant Haz Mat team and for the southeast;
9. Budgets cuts -experience with reduction of employees, combining jobs, outsourcing departments and synergy.
1. Preparing all high school graduates for higher education and\or the workforce.
2. Assuring every taxpayer's dollar is monitored and well spent.
3. Keeping an open ear to the concerns and needs of all the students, parents, teachers, and citizens of Kershaw County.
4. Motivating all students with highly qualified teachers and administrators and monitoring student achievement.