Teen wears 'Smoked pot, got caught' sign as punishment - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

Mom has son wear 'Smoked pot, got caught' sign as punishment

What would you do if your teenage son got busted for smoking marijuana? One Lowcountry mother isn't taking it lightly and she's doing all she can to make sure he doesn't do it again.

Pacing a main intersection in Beaufort, wearing a sign reading "Smoked pot, got caught! Don't I look cool? not!" and "Learn from me, don't do drugs" isn't exactly the way Brandon Mathison, 13, planned on spending his Friday night. But after he got busted this past weekend for smoking marijuana with his friends, this is the punishment his mother, April Mathison, came up with.

"Timeouts and taking things away just doesn't work any more. Sometimes a little public humility is what they need nowadays to get a point across. If this works for him and maybe saves one or two other students from thinking about picking this stuff up, then I feel like I've done my job as a parent," Mathison said.

When she first told him about the punishment, she says her son was surprised.

"He was kind of embarrassed before we even got out here," she said. "He was like 'You're serious? You're going to have me stand on the road with a sign?' I was like 'Yes sir, if this is what it takes.' I don't think he believed me at first - I really don't."

But she didn't back down. He has walked the intersection two times this week. He has also been drawing some attention.

"[I got] all kinds of looks. There are people stopping to talk to me," Brandon Mathison said. "Mostly they are yelling at me to stop."

It's a lesson Brandon is not likely to forget. He said he won't be smoking pot again because he doesn't want to do this again.

While he certainly isn't enjoying this punishment, he seems to be getting the message.

"I got to change my life and stop," said Brandon Mathison.

It may not be your typical punishment, but Mathison is hoping it works.

"I never in a million years pictured my 13 year old getting busted for marijuana. I'm always bragging about what a great kid he is. He is great in school. I just never pictured this," she said. "We as parents have to step it up; we have to protect our children and if this is what it takes, it's what I'm going to do."

She's hoping this will be a lifelong lesson that will keep Brandon on the right road.

Mathison says she has received a lot of positive feedback from other parents and from many people driving by.

Copyright 2012 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Ebola vaccinations begin in rural Congo on Monday: Ministry

Saturday, May 26 2018 6:03 AM EDT2018-05-26 10:03:13 GMT
    Saturday, May 26 2018 3:34 PM EDT2018-05-26 19:34:55 GMT
    A vaccination campaign continues in Mbandaka, the city of 1.2 million where four Ebola cases have been confirmed. (Source: (Louise Annaud/Medecins Sans Frontieres via AP)A vaccination campaign continues in Mbandaka, the city of 1.2 million where four Ebola cases have been confirmed. (Source: (Louise Annaud/Medecins Sans Frontieres via AP)

Congo says confirmed Ebola cases rise to 35, with 10 deaths, as vaccinations continue.

Official tally shows big win for abortion rights in Ireland

Saturday, May 26 2018 2:43 AM EDT2018-05-26 06:43:19 GMT
    Saturday, May 26 2018 3:34 PM EDT2018-05-26 19:34:37 GMT
    (Niall Carson/PA via AP). A man walks past a mural showing Savita Halappanavar, a 31-year-old Indian dentist who had sought and been denied an abortion before she died after a miscarriage in a Galway hospital, with the word YES over it, in Dublin, Irel...(Niall Carson/PA via AP). A man walks past a mural showing Savita Halappanavar, a 31-year-old Indian dentist who had sought and been denied an abortion before she died after a miscarriage in a Galway hospital, with the word YES over it, in Dublin, Irel...
    Official counting is set to begin in Ireland's historic abortion rights referendum, with two exit polls predicting an overwhelming victory for those seeking to end the country's strict ban.More >>

Civilians who shot restaurant gunman say they stopped threat

Saturday, May 26 2018 4:03 AM EDT2018-05-26 08:03:40 GMT
    Saturday, May 26 2018 3:33 PM EDT2018-05-26 19:33:54 GMT
    (Sarah Phipps/The Oklahoman via AP). Police officers stand at the scene of a shooting on the east side of Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City, Thursday, May 24, 2018. A man armed with a pistol walked into Louie’s On The Lake restaurant at the dinner hour and ...(Sarah Phipps/The Oklahoman via AP). Police officers stand at the scene of a shooting on the east side of Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City, Thursday, May 24, 2018. A man armed with a pistol walked into Louie’s On The Lake restaurant at the dinner hour and ...
    Authorities say a Facebook page in which a man claims his television is possessed by the devil belongs to the man suspected of shooting three people at an Oklahoma City restaurant before being killed by two armed bystanders.More >>