While the heart of hurricane season typically occurs in late summer, it's never too early to make storm preparations. Here are some important hurricane safety tips to keep in mind.
- Stay alert to storm advisories and evacuate if told to do so.
- Map out your route using roads specified by local and/or state authorities.
- If the storm is imminent, turn off and unplug stereos, televisions, computers and other appliances.
- Have flashlights and fresh batteries on hand.
- After the storm, stay away from and do not touch downed power lines. Keep others away from downed lines as well. Contact SCE&G immediately at 1-888-333-4465.
- Do not touch tree limbs or other objects touching a power line. Never try to remove a tree limb or any object that is in contact with a power line. Contact SCE&G immediately.
- Do not open refrigerators/freezers during an outage unless absolutely necessary. Repeated openings cause cold air to escape and food to thaw more quickly.
- SCE&G Emergency Service Numbers: For emergencies such as downed power lines or power outages call: 1-888-333-4465.
For gas leaks: 1-800-815-0083
For any other customer concerns: 1-800-251-7234.
- To report outages by mobile access- http://www.sceg.com/mobile/
- You can also report power outages and check outage status via text message. Find out how to register your cell phone at sceg.com/text.