Serves: 16 to 20
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 35 minutes
For Cake Batter: 1 cup all purpose flour (not packed)
1 cup whole wheat flour (not packed)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
½ cup egg substitute
½ cup Smart Balance (or canola oil)
1 cup low fat sour cream
1 tsp. almond extract
1 ¼ cup brown sugar (reserving ½ cup)
¾ cup granulated sugar substitute
½ cup + 1 tbsp sliced almonds
(reserve ¼ cup for filling & 1 tbsp for sprinkling on top)
For cake glaze: ¾ cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp. fat free half and half (or skim milk)
- Spray bundt pan with canola spray and lightly flour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Gently stir together flours, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a large bowl. Whip egg substitute in mixer bowl with electric mixer, adding oil, sour cream and almond extract. Blend brown sugar and sugar substitute alternately into wet mixture. Fold in dry flour mixture about ½ cup at a time, until well blended trying not to "over beat"
- Sprinkle 1/8 cup of brown sugar and up to ¼ of sliced almonds in prepared pan. Next, spoon ½ of batter, spreading evenly into pan and sprinkle ½ of remaining brown sugar on the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and check to see if toothpick comes out clean. If not, bake for 5 more minutes and check again. Top should be golden brown. Cool 10 minutes in pan.
- While cake is cooling in pan, measure ¾ cup powdered sugar into small bowl and whip with 2 tablespoons half and half (or skim milk) until glazing consistency. Thin with more half and half (or skim milk) ½ tsp at a time or thicken with more powdered sugar (1 tsp. at a time). Turn cake out of pan onto plate and pour glaze on it. Sprinkle glaze with 1 tbsp. sliced almonds.
Almond Sour Cream Coffee Cake may be served at room temperature and is very good with hot tea or coffee.
Calories: 200; Total Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 2g;
Cholesterol: 5mg; Sodium: 111; Dietary Fiber 1g