White supremacist wants apology for hotel cancellation - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

White supremacist wants apology for hotel cancellation

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - The organizer of a group known for its white supremacist and anti-immigrant views spoke to reporters in Charlotte on Monday about a hotel which decided at the last minute to cancel the group's reservations for an upcoming conference.

Last week, The Sheraton Charlotte Airport Hotel announced it had canceled the group's reservations due to issues pertaining to guest safety.

American Renaissance magazine editor Jared Taylor claims he informed the hotel management more than six months ago that there could be protesters at the Feb. 5 conference.

"I personally leveled with the hotel staff, I wanted to make absolutely sure that there was no misunderstanding about what the risks were, and they said 'yes, we understand'," said Taylor.

Taylor also claims Charlotte City Councilman Patrick Cannon violated the group's First Amendment rights by contacting hotels in the Charlotte area about the conference.

Cannon says he was just finding information in response to a question from a constituent.

"I did not send an email, nor write, nor call any hotel..[there's] nothing to apologize for given I didn't contact any hotels," said Cannon.

Cannon says he expressed concern to his constituents about safety at the even because of protestors who might attend.

Taylor said the Sheraton will likely loose close to $50,000 in revenue because of the cancellation.

He said he is not sure where the group will hold its conference now.

On Monday, the hotel released the following statement:

The Sheraton Charlotte Airport Hotel recognizes the rights of individuals and organizations to assemble.  However, we also have an obligation to provide for the safety and security of our guests, our associates and of the community at large.  Upon learning of the extremely controversial views of the New Century Foundation, the Sheraton Charlotte Airport Hotel elected to cancel this organization's booking for an event in February.  No outside entities played a role in this decision. This event was originally confirmed only because those involved in the booking were unaware of the unique dynamics associated with this group. Despite recent reports, the hotel had no information about the group's background when this event was booked.

On Saturday, February 5, groups opposing American Renaissance will hold a rally and forum in Charlotte NC.

The rally will be in Marshall Park, E. 3rd Street between S. Davidson and S. McDowell from 10am-11:30am.

The forum will be at West Boulevard Library, 2157 West Boulevard, Charlotte 28208, 1:00-2:30pm.

Copyright 2011 WBTV. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved.

  • South Carolina news on WIStv.comNEWSMore>>

  • New GOP plan: Hold kids longer at border _ but with parents

    New GOP plan: Hold kids longer at border _ but with parents

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 1:10 AM EDT2018-06-19 05:10:31 GMT
    Tuesday, June 19 2018 4:21 PM EDT2018-06-19 20:21:55 GMT
    (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite). The Capitol is seen in Washington, Friday, June 15, 2018. Calls are mounting on Capitol Hill for the Trump administration to end the separation of families at the southern border ahead of a visit from President Donald Tr...(AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite). The Capitol is seen in Washington, Friday, June 15, 2018. Calls are mounting on Capitol Hill for the Trump administration to end the separation of families at the southern border ahead of a visit from President Donald Tr...

    Calls are mounting for President Trump to end family separations at the border ahead of a meeting with House Republicans.

    More >>

    Calls are mounting for President Trump to end family separations at the border ahead of a meeting with House Republicans.

    More >>
  • Twin brothers reunited 74 years after WWII death at Normandy

    Twin brothers reunited 74 years after WWII death at Normandy

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 6:00 AM EDT2018-06-19 10:00:39 GMT
    Tuesday, June 19 2018 4:02 PM EDT2018-06-19 20:02:36 GMT
    (Susan Lawrence via AP). In this undated photo, provided by family member Susan Lawrence on Wednesday, twin brothers Julius Pieper, left, and Ludwig Pieper in their U.S. Navy uniforms.(Susan Lawrence via AP). In this undated photo, provided by family member Susan Lawrence on Wednesday, twin brothers Julius Pieper, left, and Ludwig Pieper in their U.S. Navy uniforms.
    (Susan Lawrence via AP). In this undated photo, provided by family member Susan Lawrence on Wednesday, June 13, 2018, twin brothers Julius Pieper, left, and Ludwig Pieper in their U.S. Navy uniforms. For decades, he had a number for a name, Unknown X-9...(Susan Lawrence via AP). In this undated photo, provided by family member Susan Lawrence on Wednesday, June 13, 2018, twin brothers Julius Pieper, left, and Ludwig Pieper in their U.S. Navy uniforms. For decades, he had a number for a name, Unknown X-9...

    For decades, he was known only as Unknown X-9352 at a World War II American cemetery in Belgium where he was interred.

    More >>

    For decades, he was known only as Unknown X-9352 at a World War II American cemetery in Belgium where he was interred.

    More >>
  • In tit-for-tat, Trump threatens more tariffs against China

    In tit-for-tat, Trump threatens more tariffs against China

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 12:20 AM EDT2018-06-19 04:20:31 GMT
    Tuesday, June 19 2018 4:21 PM EDT2018-06-19 20:21:19 GMT
    President Donald Trump gestures as he signs a "Space Policy Directive" during a meeting of the National Space Council in the East Room of the White House, Monday, June 18, 2018, in Washington, as Vice President Mike Pence watches.  AP Photo/Susan Walsh)President Donald Trump gestures as he signs a "Space Policy Directive" during a meeting of the National Space Council in the East Room of the White House, Monday, June 18, 2018, in Washington, as Vice President Mike Pence watches. AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

    A new 10 percent tariff on $200 billion in Chinese imports is being threatened by Trump in the latest move toward what could become a trade war.

    More >>

    A new 10 percent tariff on $200 billion in Chinese imports is being threatened by Trump in the latest move toward what could become a trade war.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly