Gasoline ignited and destroyed Hopkins home - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

Gasoline ignited and destroyed Hopkins home

HOPKINS, SC (WIS) - A motorcycle repair ended with a Hopkins house being destroyed by fire Saturday night.

Firefighters said the homeowner was draining the gas tank on his bike when a little of it spilled. The man indicated he saw a flash and then flames broke out.

By the time fire crews got on scene on Ragin Drive, they saw most of the house was on fire. But the challenge was putting it out. "There are no hydrants back here," said Columbia Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins, "So we're actually having to go all the way back to Garners Ferry Road to get water from a hydrant." Jenkins said that fire hydrant was about a mile and a half away.

The home was destroyed, costing about $200,000 in damages. Jenkins reported that the homeowner was burned on his hand. He was treated on the scene and was expected to be fine.

There's no word yet on what caused the gasoline to ignite.

Copyright 2011 WIS. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly