SUMTER, SC (WIS) - A maintenance man discovered a fire in the roof at the Bojangles' in Sumter Saturday night.
It happened around 6:00pm on Broad Street.
Sumter County Fire Chief Brian Horton said restaurant workers smelled smoke and turned off their heating system before contacting the maintenance crew. He went on to say that when that worker arrived to take a look at the heating unit, he found smoke and fire inside the heating unit and called 911.
When crews arrived at the scene, they found heavy smoke coming from the building but were able to put the fire out within the hour. The fire did spread across the building's roof, and Horton said it did get down into some portions of the building. He estimated that there's about $100,000 in damages to the roof area and another $50,000 in damages to tiles and equipment inside the restaurant.