LANCASTER, SC (WBTV) - An afternoon fire demolishes a five unit apartment building and displaces four families, including many children.
It happened around 1 p.m. on Chesterfield Avenue in downtown. One of the units was vacant at the time. No one was injured but the families say they lost everything, including Christmas gifts. Josh, 5, said he lost his bike, clothes and toys.
His grandmother, Esther Knotts, says she walked outside and a neighbor told her the apartment was on fire. "She said she was cooking and some grease popped out of the skillet."
The Red Cross stepped in to help the families. They put them up at a local motel for three days and gave them money to buy food and some clothes. Some of the families aren't sure where they will go afterwards.
Melissa Buchanon was brought to tears when she thinks how the New Year started for her family. "I could've lost my mother, brother and son," Buchanon said.
For more information on how to donate to the Lancaster Red Cross, call (803) 283-4072.