Cause of Lockner Road fire common for this time of year - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

Cause of Lockner Road fire common for this time of year

Source: Russ Congdon Source: Russ Congdon
Source: Russ Congdon Source: Russ Congdon

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - The cause of a fire that destroyed a family's home on Lockner Road Wednesday is determined.

Fire Marshal Jeff Allen says it was the result of a worker heating copper plumbing piped beneath the home's crawl space. He says the fire proceeded to spread into the attic where it ignited combustible materials and caused severe damage to the home.

Allen says the cause of the fire is not uncommon for this time of year, which is why people need to be aware of the issue before thawing, replacing, or repairing pipes.

It took two fire departments to put out the Wednesday afternoon fire. Fire crews from Irmo and Columbia were called to respond after a person across the street noticed smoke coming from the house. The unidentified worker called 911 and tried to put the fire out with a fire hose.

No one was home at the time of the fire, and no one was injured.

Copyright 2010 WIS. All rights reserved.

Related Stories

Powered by Frankly