COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) – Columbia firefighters are on the scene of chemical spill at the University of South Carolina's Graduate Science Research Center on Sumter Street.
Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins said a student in one of the labs knocked over and broke a container of a chemical called Tetrahydfuran that was being using for an experiment. Jenkins said Tetrahydfuran can be flammable and cause respiratory problems, and is known to evaporate quickly once exposed to air.
There were about three people inside the fifth-floor laboratory when the spill occurred, and about 15 to 20 people were evacuated from the building. Jenkins said everyone was able to make it out of the building okay.
A hazardous materials team has entered the building and is ventilating the facility. There were no reports of damage to the building.