Does the IRS owe you money? Check our list

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) — The Internal Revenue Service is looking to return about $5 million in undelivered refund checks to taxpayers in the Carolinas.

IRS spokesperson Mark Hanson said more than 4,400 Carolina taxpayers are due one or more refund checks that could not be delivered because of mailing address errors. Hanson said if your name is on the list provided by the IRS, you need to update your address to receive all checks due.

[Click here to read the list of people owed money by the IRS (PDF)]

Taxpayers can update their addresses with the "Where's My Refund?" tool on The tool also enables taxpayers to check the status of their refunds. A taxpayer must submit his or her Social Security number, filing status and amount of refund shown on their 2009 return. The tool will provide the status of their refund and, in some cases, instructions on how to resolve delivery problems.

You can also access a telephone version of "Where's My Refund?" by calling 1-800-829-1954, where you will receive instructions on how to update your address.

The IRS recommends that taxpayers file their tax returns electronically, because e-file eliminates the risk of lost paper returns. E-file also reduces errors on tax returns and speeds up refunds. Taxpayers can also receive their refunds directly into their bank, split a tax refund into two or three financial accounts or even buy a savings bond.

The average dollar amount for returned refunds rose by almost 28 percent this year, possibly due to recent changes in tax law which introduced new credits or expanded existing credits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit.

Copyright 2010 WIS. All rights reserved.