Before a robbery:
Teach and Practice, Practice and Teach (Train to be alert to your surroundings; a good witnesses and involved citizen)
Evidence Collection Equipment (Cameras, Smooth surfaces, Height Tape)
Have Policy and Procedures ( Closing, Money handling, passive, hiring and firing)
During a robbery:
Assure the Criminal that you will give them what they want
Announce your actions and movements
Have a plan
Be good witness and be passive
7 Steps After a robbery:
- Lock the doors
- Sound the alarm/911
- Verify all employees are safe
- Preserve the crime scene
- Ask customers to stay
- Fill out suspect ID sheet
- Pat yourself on the back-you survived
Reporting a robbery has occurred:
Give your location
Be specific(where, what, who, give details)
Stay on the phone
You may be telling us something that we are not aware of or you may be giving us the information that we need to investigate and possibly make an arrest. Suspicious Activity is an event taking place out of the ordinary which could lead to a crime or be a crime in progress.
Protective Measures to prevent robbery:
Limit access to work areas
Have alternate staff exits
Know how to report problems
Report threatening and suspicious activity to police
Electronic access control.
Have Security Surveys done
Improve Lighting and Visibility
Have the police became familiar with your facility.
Practice good crime prevention.
Be "law enforcement friendly".
Utilize local associations to keep abreast of current trends.
1) Report all suspicious activity, persons and cars to the police immediately. Nothing is too small to be reported.
2) Use drive up ATMs.
3) Business deposits should be made at alternating times, during the day and with a co-worker.
4) Do not leave valuable items in plain view of windows in your car.
5) Do not "Flash" cash, money/deposit bags or banking documents.
6) Businesses should cut all bushes and trees back from around windows and doors to avoid hiding spots and shadows.
7) Outside floodlights should be left on from dusk to dawn. REMOVE motion detectors and put in timers.
8) Always park in well-lighted locations and go shopping or do your banking with a friend.
9) Be alert at all times.