Consumers spend roughly 56% of their total energy costs on heating and cooling. Here are some tips for controlling your heating and air conditioning usage:
- Set thermostats to 78 degrees F in summer, 68 degrees F in winter.
- Close shades and drapes at night to keep heat in winter. Open during the day to let heat in.
- In summer, close drapes and shades during the day to keep solar heat out.
- Run ceiling paddle fans on medium, blowing down in summer.
- Change HVAC filters monthly.
- When heating or cooling, keep windows locked.
- Insulate electric wall plugs and wall switches with foam pads.
- Caulk along baseboards with a clear sealant.
- For more tips download the Home Energy Savings Guide (.pdf) and 101 Easy Ways to Save Energy and Money (.pdf).
Information courtesy Touchstone Energy $avers.