CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Twenty years ago on Sept 21, 1989, Hurricane Hugo's winds blew their way into the history books of South Carolinians as the category 4 storm made landfall in Charleston. WhileMore >>
Twenty years ago on Sept 21, 1989, Hurricane Hugo's winds blew their way into the history books of South Carolinians as the category 4 storm made landfall in Charleston.More >>
An NFL cheerleader and former teacher has been indicted in Kenton County on allegations that she had sex with a student.More >>
WASHINGTON (AP) - The top U.S. commander in a northern Iraq province where al-Qaida remains a strong threat says his combat troops may stay in cities there past a June 30 deadline requiring them to pull back.
Col. Gary Volesky told reporters at the Pentagon Tuesday that his soldiers will only stay in Mosul and other nearby cities if the Iraqi government asks them to.
But on a day that Volesky held a memorial service for five soldiers who were killed in Mosul last week, the colonel did not rule out the possibility that would happen.
He described an ongoing assessment by Iraqi officials to decide. The June 30 deadline is part of a Jan. 1 security agreement between the U.S. and Iraq.
Mosul is considered al-Qaida's last stronghold in Iraq.
Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.