COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - The American Red Cross is helping multiple families after an overnight residential fire Columbia on Saturday and a house fire in Gaston on Friday afternoon.
In the first fire, a family of five lost their home on Pound Road in Gaston. Also on Friday, one person’s home on Weaver Drive in Lexington was damaged by fire.
In Columbia, the fire department responded to a fire on Colonial Drive that displaced four adults and two children early Saturday. A Columbia Fire Department spokesperson says the cause of the fire was due to electrical wiring in the wall. No one was injured, but damages to the home are estimated around $30,000.
The Red Cross is providing financial assistance for food, clothing, lodging, and other essentials, and comfort kits containing personal hygiene items to all those families.
Each year around the holidays the Red Cross and partners see an uptick in the number of home fires. It’s also been shown that Christmas tree fires are much more likely to be deadly than most other fires. When cooking and decorating this holiday season, the Red Cross is reminding families to check their existing smoke alarms and practice fire drills at home.
“Every household should develop a fire escape plan and practice it several times a year and at different times of the day,” the Red Cross says. “Install smoke alarms on every level of the home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas. Test them every month and replace the batteries when needed.”