First Alert Forecast: A shot of cold air will be felt across the Midlands this week - Watching the weekend for a powerful storm that could bring heavy rain, wind and some sleet to the Midlands
First Alert Weather Headlines:
· Alert Days are posted for Saturday, Sunday and Monday as an area of low pressure tracks toward South Carolina, bringing rain and potential wintry weather to the state.
· We’re expecting a cold rain on your Saturday. Highs will only reach the lower 40s.
· We’ll have to watch the forecast closely Sunday and Monday as some sleet and/or snowflakes could mix in with the rain for the Upstate and our far northern counties (closer to the NC border). Some sleet could also mix with rain here in the Midlands Sunday and Monday. However, most of our area will see rain.
· No snow accumulation is expected in our area at this time. If we see any changes in the forecast, we will let you know.
· Highs will be in the upper 30s and lower 40s Sunday and Monday. Lows will be in the low to mid 30s.
· Roads could be a bit slick early Tuesday morning.
First Alert Weather Story:
The big story is the weekend. All eyes are watching for the development of a powerful low pressure system that will move from the Gulf coast by Friday and through much of the SE US over the weekend and eventually off the SE Coast by Monday. This will give us another weekend of widespread rain which we could see totals of 2-3″ by Monday evening.
High pressure that will bring the sunshine this week will move north and push down even colder air as we head into the weekend. This gives us well below normal temperatures with highs only in the 40s and with the rain comes gusty winds, too, especially by Sunday. Wind gusts could exceed 40MPH at times through the weekend which will allow for wind chill temps to drop into the mid 30s.
With a push of even colder air Sunday night into Monday as the storm center starts to move offshore, we’ll have to watch for the risk of a few hours of sleet mixing in with the cold rain. At this point, we’re not worried about snow or sleet accumulation but it’s something we will continue to monitor.
If you want to see wintry accumulation, your best bet is to travel north to the Upstate or in areas of North Carolina. This is a changing forecast and will have a better handle on the timing and precipitation type and totals as we move through the week.
Friday: Partly Cloudy. Mild. Highs in the mid 50s. Winds: NW/N/NE 5 mph.
First Alert Saturday: Cloudy & Cold. Rain Likely (80%). Breezy. Highs will be in the upper 30s and lower 40s. Winds: NE 5-15 mph.
First Alert Sunday: Cloudy & Cold. Rain Likely (90%). Sleet Possible. Windy. Highs in the upper 30s and lower 40s.
First Alert Monday: Cloudy & Cold. Scattered Rain. Sleet/Flurries possible with rain. Highs in the lower 40s.